Makes 16 - 20 meatballs
Ingredients for the meatballs:
- 500 grams (1.1 pounds) ground beef
- 250 grams (.55 pounds) ground pork
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic (crushed or minced)
- 100 grams (3.5 ounces) breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons of whole milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the cream sauce:
- Dash of oil
- 40 grams (1.4 ounces) butter
- 40 grams (1.4 ounces) plain flour
- 150 ml (5 fluid ounces) vegetable stock
- 150 ml (5 fluid ounces) beef stock
- 150 ml (5 fluid ounces) thick double cream
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Here's how you do it:
- Combine beef and pork mince and mix thoroughly to break up any lumps. Add finely chopped onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, egg and mix. Add milk and season well with salt and pepper.
- Shape mixture into small, round balls. Place on a clean plate, cover and store in the fridge for 2 hours (to help them hold their shape while cooking).
- In a frying pan, heat oil on medium heat. When hot, gently add your meatballs and brown on all sides.
- When browned, add to an ovenproof dish and cover. Place in a hot oven, 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 180 degrees Celsius, and cook for a further 30 minutes.
And for the cream sauce:
- Melt the butter in a frying pan. Whisk in the plain flour and continue cooking, stirring continuously for 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and beef stock and continue to stir. Add the thick double cream, soy sauce and Dijon mustard.
- Bring to a simmer and allow the sauce to thicken. Continue to stir.
- When ready to eat, serve with your favorite potatoes -- either creamy mash or mini new boiled potatoes.
Special thanks to IKEA for sharing this recipe. IKEA is open for delivery and curbside pick-up. Or purchase a gift card today!