Itasca was first settled by Dr. Elijah Smith in 1841. Dr. Smith practiced in Boston but in May 1841, he set out to find a suitable site for doctoring, farming, and raising a family. He traveled from New York via Detroit and headed toward DuPage County. His parchment government land title dated March 10, 1843, was signed by John Tylor, President of the United States.
Smith plotted 80 acres of his land into lots in 1873. The Chicago and Pacific Railroad was completed from Chicago to Elgin, with stations at Bensenville, Wood Dale (called Lester) and Itasca. Smith gave the right-of-way to encourage the location of the tracks through the settlement. He donated $400 to help build a station.
In 1890, the citizens of Itasca decided to incorporate into a village. At a meeting at his mill, A.G. Chessman was elected the first Village President. The rural village of the 1800s and early 1900s retained its atmosphere until the 1940s. A new word then began to enter the American vocabulary: suburb. The influence of the city increased as the population increased. Commuting daily to the Loop became the routine for many of the Village wage earners. Annexations had resulted in 50 miles of Village streets, more parks, and two industrial areas to serve.
In 1966, the Village purchased 60 acres of land south of Irving Park Road. This established a green belt area to ensure both open space and water retention. In 1968, the Spring Brook Nature Center was formed.
Outstanding residential neighborhoods, first-rate schools, industrial parks and beautiful green spaces distinguish Itasca as a quality community. Most importantly, the Village has worked to retain its small town charm with a lovely historic district and churches of all architectural styles.
Source: Village of Itasca